Thursday, August 16, 2012

This and That & Thoughts on a Thursday

It's a sign!

In our garden right now there are these ...

Almost Spring Garden 3

and these ...

Almost Spring Garden 1

and there are also these ...

Almost Spring Garden 2

Ask any normal person what this means, and they will probably tell you it's a sign that spring is on the way.  Ask any foodie, on the other hand, and almost to a person they will probably tell you it's a sign that asparagus season is just around the corner.  In my mind, and quite possibly in yours too, daffodils and asparagus are inextricably linked.

Asparagus - grilled 1 copy

Yesterday I baked bread.  Now I may possibly be the last blogger alive to have discovered Jim Lahey's no-knead bread, but just in case I'm not, let me tell you that this is the bread that is going to change your life.  As long as you have the foresight to start your bread roughly 20 to 24 hours before you want to eat it, it is hands down the simplest bread ever to make and the results are sublime.  I cannot find adjectives enough to describe this bread.

No-knead Bread 2

Still, with spring just around the corner, which will soon become this ...


I probably need to start eating a lot more of this ...

Green Olive & Broad Bean Salad 3

and a bit less of this ...

No-knead Bread 1

Well, maybe just one more slice!!

Hope you're having a great week everyone xo

12 comments:

  1. Hi Sue, love this post. We really are all the same around the world! Have a great day, and that grilled asparagus looks great.....I have never grilled it, I think I should soon, very soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melynda. Hope you have a go at grilling asparagus - once you've tried it, you'll want it over and over again. It is hands down my favourite way of eating asparagus.

      Delete
  2. Hi Sue, your daffodils are way ahead of ours and our asparagus hasn't even started to pop up above the ground. Your magnolia is beautiful too, so it the bread, which I'll have to try soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The spring flowers seem to be doing well in our garden - good balance of a few hard frosts during the winter, followed by some rain and warmth.

      Hope you try the bread - I know you'll love it.

      Delete
  3. Your bread looks awesome! I say a good mix of that and some salad and you'll be fine for bathing suit season :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joanne - and you're right, it's all about keeping the balance, isn't it?!

      Delete
  4. Ah to be greeting Daffodils and Asparagus season. We're heading toward Apple season here in the states!

    That bread sure looks heavenly. Of course, I can't bake bread to save my life!!!

    Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Louise, I can't bake to save my life either - this bread is definitely for those of us who can't bake. Give it a try - you will surprise yourself.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. As a devout bread whore - I love love love these no knead breads... (since I'm such a horrid baker) My brother turned me onto Jim's bread recipe, and I make a loaf about every week

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I am a total bread lover. Hoping i can google this and find the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never tried the no knead bread but seeing that wonderful loaf I'm going to get one going today! See you next week, can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved this post so much! Your gorgeous flowers, the grilled asparagus, your soon to be 'bikini figure'...was this last year?
    You look, (or looked?) amazing in a bikini...ooh, la, la!

    The no knead bread is awesome, glad you finally made one. My daughter makes one once a week, among other different breads, and rolls. We just love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment. I love hearing from you and your comments are like gold to me. Your comment will be visible as soon as it has been approved.